Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Saturday 11 June 2016

Getting fizzy wrapped in PET bottles

Oh, the sweet ecstasy of well-resurrected garbage.

This dress is comprised of PET bottles, textile waste and/or other organic materials. It debuted in H&M's first sustainable line, the Garden Collection, in 2010. I found it at the thrift shop for $5, repeating the trash-to-treasure cycle yet again, recycling at its best. I call it the garbage that keeps on giving.


The dress is so feminine it cried out for a little edge - after all, it's been around the block a time or two, despite its excellent condition, like myself, heh - so I added a black scarf choker, black tights, Steve Madden combat boots, a satin obi belt, and an essential bouquet holster from a big old belt, which also made me feel a bit like a little VW bug with a vase on my  dashboard.


Wouldn't you agree that a bouquet creates a friendlier image in a holster than a gun? "Halt or I'll kill you with kindness!" - or face-slap you with flowers, which would in fact hurt. The plastic is hard and wretched. I bit the stems, like one of those women who bites stems and makes it look sexy, and kind of gagged. Another flower defense would be to hold them like garlic or a cross, as above, to keep away vampires.


And the rear view of the garment. You can see the little sparklies on my scarf choker and the obi ties, as well as the massive kimono-inspired sleeves. I couldn't believe this dress was on the $5 rack! My hair at the back is not as grey as the front. I call the shade souris (su'-ri, French for mouse, which sounds better than rodent).


Note how I've hooked my thumb conveniently in the bouquet holsterClearly it's a multipurpose accessory, like a pocket that doesn't hold a damned thing.

The bottom half of the necklace is from H&M and the top half chain from Tokyu Hands craft supply store in Tokyo. The flower pin  (used for modesty) was a gift made by Suzanne Carillo for the +40 Blogger Meetup last summer in Vancouver, and the earrings were thrifted.


Putting things in perspective - mulched flower in a concrete jungle.
I'll be linking this to Patti at Not Dead Yet Style for Visible Monday, Catherine at Not Dressed as Lamb for #iwillwearwhatilike, and Anne at SpyGirl for 52 Pick-me-up: Silver/Confusion/Clarity (my necklace).
And this last photo is my favourite of the day. The air exhaust system that vents into the alley kicked into major effect after the delivery trucks had all left, leaving me free to play in the stale air. I'm glad I wore a slip because the wind often blew the dress up to my dashboard! Too bad this dress isn't scratch 'n' sniff to freshen things up, but then it would probably smell like Coca Cola and I'd just start to fizz.


Yup, I felt like a million bucks in this outfit. Right after buying it I found out about the H&M/Bloglovin' "Breakthrough Fashion Blogger of the Year" Contest which required styling an H&M piece. The winner gets to be mentored by Man Repeller Leandra Medine for a year. I linked my Instagram photo of this outfit to the contest and this post as well.

I just looked at some of the other entries - oh, why did I do that?! Serious twenty-somethings wearing pressed neutral outfits professionally photographed, compared to my lightweight photographer, Tripod, a remote I call Dick, and my middle-aged-tween antics in piss alley.

Well, if I don't enter I definitely lose, and I must remember: comparison is the thief of joy. I had a blast doing this shoot with this stellar dress and would have done it regardless of any contest. Why? Because -

============
You can't keep good garbage down!
============

Recycling and feeling fabulous, how cool is that? I hope more big fashion retailers and manufacturers get on board that sustainability train and make good on their promises. Have you worn any good garbage lately? Do tell. Do they even make scratch 'n' sniff clothing?

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Thanks for joining me all you new followers! And thank you to Jessica at Warning: Curves Ahead 24 Things Women Over 30 Should Wear for linking to my post with Shelley's awesome photo here, which has turned into a too-good-to-be-true ending to her stellar visit to Vancouver, 2.5 million views and counting. Bwhahaha! Hurrah for freedom of choice !!

Shelley's post on our get-together is HERE.

My VOGOFF magazine guidelines page is almost ready. Can you believe it's taken me this long? Don't answer that! Heh.



51 comments:

  1. a H&M dress never looked sooo good!!!
    you are one of the best stylist, model and photographer i know! making super feminin garments more modern urban with lots of black was a well loved method of mine too - but since living "in the country" i almost forget about. thanx for the reminder!!
    much love! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living there I'm not surprised you forget about it. I think I should move to the country at least for a while as well. Thanks for your kind words, Beate. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Total Awesomeness. Hey, they have Detroit in Vancouver? for backgrounds I mean. THAT dress, it is all YOU. To the MAX. mmmmwwwwaaa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you bet there is a Detroit in Vancouver, it's just smaller is all. And to buy a modest condo in this neighbourhood would set you back about Cdn$700,000. Hahaha. Actually, it's not funny. At least playing in piss alley is free. Mwah!

      Delete
  3. You have some mad posing skillz. :-) My jacket made from recycled plastic bottles isn't anywhere near as fun as that kimono. You look smashing as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose mad could be the operative word there. I would love to trade wardrobes with you for a week, Madam. That would be awesome. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  4. That dress is beautiful and you've styled it awesomely. The other contest entrants don't stand a chance. How could anyone else look so cool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Bobbi, oh, hugs for that confidence. I do love a good gamble. The odds on this one are STAGGERING. Hahaha. I'm quite good at man repelling though. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Shouldn't the prize me you as a mentor? As if you need help with anything, you absolute legend.
    That dress is gorgeous, super duper with the black accessories and Melanie attitude. You rock! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise indeed coming from you, Vix. The five finalists get a free trip to New York. Do you know how much I would LOOOVE that? My mentoring would be best summed up in VOGOFF. Heh. Big hugs and a raised glass.

      Delete
  6. Recycling and feeling fabulous. Thanks for the great inspiration. I can still search for beautiful clothes. I just need to go dumpster diving. Best of luck winning that contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your fedora, Marea! Hahaha!! It's a good one. Dumpster diving, yes. I wouldn't do it in this particular alley. I once furnished almost my entire apartment in Tokyo from alley trash finds. Heh. Thank you for the luck!!

      Delete
  7. Stunning. Never seen a H&M dress styling soo fabulous! ♥️
    many hugs, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tina, thank you thank you. I didn't know what to do until I saw my big obi belt. Then everything fell into place. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Oh yes. You should see my chopper kick. The dress flies even higher than my dashboard!

      Delete
  9. Ooh, another piece from the Garden Collection - my insane-shouldered Gaga-esque rose red jacket is from the same collection, made from recycled bottles (I think mine might be Dr. Pepper). However, I'm jealous that you only paid $5 for this little slice of gorgeousity. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I searched the label when I got home from buying this and was very happy to see it's from a sustainable line. I'm absolutely eagle-eyed when it comes to that $5 rack. I had to go back and search for your jacket - I LOVE that piece. We should go out. Well, we should go out anyway.

      Delete
  10. I love the floaty flowerness of the dress, and that it is made from recycled garbage! You've given it just the right amount of Grrrrr with the black accessories (I call it Melifying it). I really like the background - too bad we didn't have time to do a second photo shoot :(

    Fingers crossed that the H&M people recognize your jaw-dropping fantasmagorical awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was bummed about the rain when you were here or we could have done another shoot, but NEXT TIME!!! And the location we ended up with was incredible - gorgeous artwork. The owner of a few of those alley buildings paid for some of that graffiti but lately there has been lots of sloppy tagging on top of it. I chatted with the building maintenance man during this shoot. I always meet someone new.
      Thanks for your vote of confidence, Shelley.

      Delete
  11. Mel, you look FREAKING fabulous. I hate floral prints in general. I see florals, I think little old ladies who smell of rose water and mothballs, or, chintz curtains. Or worse, Laura Ingalls Wilder. You can't even begin to imagine how much I love the kickass vibe you're exuding here, Mel. Kickass and killer, with obi belt to boot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura Ingalls Wilder?! Hahaha!! I like the Wilder part. THANK you for your compliment considering how kickass I think YOU are. I'm not usually a florals gal either but the sleeves on this dress had me hooked.

      Delete
  12. I love the dress and what you have done with it. Indeed I think you stand a good chance of winning the contest. Why? Because you are good, you are creative. Far more important than the best photoshoot. You are unique which is something nobody can imitate. You are contributing to sustainability,which is what this collection stands for. And perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea for H&M to show the world you don't need to be 15 to like H&M clothes. A whole new target group. If I were them, I would choose you for all these reasons.
    I have tried to buy H&M pieces from their sustainability line often. Always sold out. They should do more. Especially in The Netherlands as we are a very environmentally conscious country.
    Love your statement of "comparison is the thief of joy". Didn't know that one. So bloody true.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have reasoned out so well my chances for success but sometimes all they want is a person who is mainstream with magazine photos. But you are right - I do hope that one of the finalists is a woman over 40. Lots of 40+ women shop at their store here. I searched for this dress online after I bought it - the price looked higher now than it was new.
      I'm not sure where I heard that comparison line, maybe from Suzanne...?

      Delete
    2. Knowing the outcome now, I think they should put me in the H&M management. They clearly lack vision.

      Delete
  13. You go, flower lady!! Always consider the garbage when designing, I say. You look like a million bucks, and I love how you've named your remote. I say you should win, without having seen the other entries because I am loyal that way! xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dick doesn't always perform very well, especially when there are other people around. But then neither do I. I love your loyalty, Patti. Mwah!! Thank you.

      Delete
  14. You are a floral butterfly! And I totally covet those boots. Good thing they're probably too big for me, huh? Guess I'll have to stick with my Blunnies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but your Blunnies are special indeed. These boots were thrifted and they clomp magnificently. Thanks for visiting, Louisa!

      Delete
  15. Stunning pics!!! Good luck on the H&M bloggy contest!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks. It's a good think I like dreaming.

      Delete
  16. H&M would be fools to pass you over. Love your use of black to toughen this cutsie dress up to steet style. And oh, wouldn't it be great to have scratch and sniff clothes - I think this little dress would smell like banana pancakes.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana pancakes? I would LOVE that! Hahaha. Of course I would have to go eat them every time I put this on, but with an elastic waist that would be fine. I hope they are fools - then they would appreciate my humour.
      Thanks, Anna!

      Delete
  17. The sleeves, Melanie!!!! FABULOUS! I would never want to lower my arms. And the obi belt too. In fact, the whole creation is amazing, and with you wearing it - well, FABULOUS! Great story, Love it.
    Elizabeth.

    https://fabulousageing.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, you should have seen me in the alley. I spent quite a bit of time doing windmills, don't you know. Hahaha. And then the wind picked up they flapped magnificently. Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate your positive energy.

      Delete
  18. Yikes!! I had to catch up on 3 of your recent posts and what a busy gal you've been. Everything about you is such brilliant entertainment! Thankyou for sharing yourself splashing joyfully through life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilee. I have been mixing things up lately. Everything gets more fresh when there is a friend in town. I'm so glad if I can entertain while swanning about in my outfit du jour. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  19. A bouquet holster - why don't I have a bouquet holster? I need one immediately now I've seen yours; I have bouquet holster envy. Love me a good floaty sleeve too - and those sleeves have serious wafting capacity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? You do not have a bouquet holster? It's a horror! Heh. I also stuck the flowers into my obi belt. It also worked very well. And you are right, serious serious waftage. I ADORE those sleeves. Thanks, Ros, for dropping by. Mwah.

      Delete
    2. Wait, that should be Roz.

      Delete
  20. Wow! That dress looks fab on you. It's not something I would have looked twice at on a clothing rail, but I love how you've managed to Goth it up. You may even have encouraged me to wear something flowery this summer... with a gun holster for my posy of flowers, of course ;) (gorgeous boots, too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be amazed at how great you feel in florals. At least I was never a floral fan and I got hooked. (Secret: Men LOVE florals on women. Weird, right? Totally unexpected, but it's true.) The sleeves of this dress hooked me.

      We all need flower holsters.

      Thanks for dropping by and sorry to be so tardy in responding! Hugs.

      Delete
  21. I remember that H&M collection, it was the only one I loved (as H&M usually is not my cup of tea) and I think it's time to look for some crazy floral dresses in my wardrobe and run to an alley to take my pics!! Because you're gloriously fabulous!!
    And loving your rock'n'roll accessorizing, and totalblack legs to add your own rocking fabulousness!!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you for that blast of delicious positive energy!! I hope you got some floral shots in the alley. I must go to your blog and check - I'm sooo far behind and my apologies for that. Besos!!

      Delete
  22. Everything about this is so perfect. The backdrop, the dress, the flowers. Killer boots, too! <3

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. It's weird - I love this too, the dress, the alley, it's one of my favourites and too funny that it's florals. I think I don't like florals and then every time I put them on I LOVE them.

      Delete
  23. The problem with winning is you may teach her more than she teaches you. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Denton. I would just like to get to New York and I can meet you!

      Delete
  24. The problem with winning is you may teach her more than she teaches you. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You win! Hands down! This post is as spectacular as they come. Brilliant is the word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Judith. My hopes are dashed, dashed I tell you, now that you have entered as well. We should both be finalists so we can hang out in New York. What a blast we would have. And we could meet up with Denton too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...